PLN Plans 75% Renewable Energy Integration in Strategic Electricity Blueprint

Solar panel as one of renewable energy sources

In its unwavering commitment to transition into a carbon-neutral nation, Indonesia is actively pursuing various strategies, with a significant focus on harnessing Renewable Energy (EBT). The country’s state-owned electricity company, Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN), is currently in the planning stages of incorporating EBT to constitute a substantial 75% of the overall energy mix in Indonesia, as meticulously outlined in the Electricity Supply Business Plan (RUPTL).

Darmawan Prasodjo, the President Director of PLN, emphasized the collaborative efforts with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (ESDM) in formulating the latest iteration of RUPTL. This strategic blueprint aims to amplify the utilization of EBT to an impressive 75%, leaving a calculated 25% to be sourced from gas.

“This novel approach involves a substantial addition of 75% to the power plant capacity derived from renewable energy sources, complemented by 25% based on gas, resulting in a significant reduction of greenhouse gas emissions,” elucidated Darmawan during the inaugural ceremony of National Electricity Day in BSD on Tuesday (14/11/2023).

Delving deeper into the intricacies of the updated RUPTL, Darmawan highlighted two pivotal focal points. Firstly, there’s an ambitious plan for the construction of green enabling transmission lines, acting as a facilitator for the infusion of an additional 32 gigawatts (GW) stemming from hydro and geothermal energy.

“In this context, two paramount aspects come to the forefront: firstly, the establishment of green enabling transmission lines, effectively facilitating the incorporation of an additional 32 GW generated from hydro and geothermal sources,” he expounded.

Secondly, Darmawan underscored the implementation of Flexible Power Generation Smart Transmission. “Furthermore, there is an ongoing development of a state-of-the-art system that includes flexible power generation, smart transmission, smart distribution, and smart meters. This strategic deployment aims not only to add 5 GW of solar energy but to supplement this with an additional 28 GW of solar and wind energy,” he added.

Darmawan asserted that these comprehensive initiatives align seamlessly with the visionary directives of the President of Indonesia, Joko Widodo (Jokowi). The overarching goals encompass maintaining the momentum of national development, fostering job creation, ensuring prosperity for the populace, all while harmoniously preserving the environment through the provision of sustainable and clean energy solutions.