A Gay Couple in Banda Aceh Sentenced to Caning 80 Times

113
gay couple sentenced 80 times caning

Two men in Banda Aceh were sentenced to 80 lashes each because they were proven to be gay. The verdict is the same as that of the public prosecutor.

From the decision of the Banda Aceh Syar’iyah Court (MS), Thursday (21/1/2021), the verdict against MU (27) and AL (29) was knocked by MS Banda Aceh on Wednesday (20/1). The trial began with the reading of the notes by the prosecutor reading the verdict.

During the trial, MU and AL were tried in separate files. The prosecutor charged MU and AL with a ban of 80 lashes each.

The court’s panel of judges succeeded in proving the facts that committed Jarimah Liwath (gay) as stipulated in Article 63 paragraph (1) Qanun Number 6 of 2014 concerning the Law of Jinayat. The verdict against the tragedy is in accordance with the records.

“Dropping Tazir’s uqubat against the defendant Navy in the form of lashes 80 times minus the detention period the defendant has served in temporary detention,” the judge decided.

Sit as judge Almihan as chief judge and Ibnu Al Khairy and Saufullah Abbas respectively as member judges.

Previously, two men in Banda Aceh, Acehnese, were raided for allegedly having sex with the same gender. The two of them were raided at a boarding house in Kuta Alam District, Banda Aceh, Thursday (12/11/2020) night. MU has lived in that location since before.

“Two people who were arrested with the initials MU (27) who acted as a girl and AL (29) as a boy. They claimed to have had sex,” the Head of Investigation and Investigation of the Satpol PP-Wilayatul Hisbah (WH / Sharia Police) Banda Aceh City, Zakwan, said, when confirmed, Saturday (11/14/2020).

According to Zakwan, the boarding house owner was suspicious of MU’s behavior and he often brought different men to the boarding house. The boarding house owner then notified other residents so that the raid was carried out.

“When the door opened, he was half naked. After being raided, the residents contacted us,” Zakwan said.

In almost 2 weeks, the rescue of 21 Chinese miners is still being carried out

Chinese rescue workers drilled into the ground to rescue 21 miners who were still trapped when the gold mine exploded. The miners have been trapped for nearly two weeks. One miner is confirmed dead and there are still no signs of life from the other trapped miners.

Launching from AFP on Thursday (21/1/2021), 22 miners were trapped in the Hushan underground mine, near the city of Qixia, Shandong province, East China. They were trapped after a mine explosion on January 10, thus closing entrances and cutting off communications.

Luckily, one of the miners was still contactable. Unfortunately, one miner was seriously injured in the initial explosion and was confirmed dead on Wednesday night (20/1/2021) local time.

Another miner is believed to have been trapped alone, some a hundred meters further down, but his condition is unknown as he has not yet been reached by the rescue team above. The second group of 11 miners could not be reached either, although rescue efforts are continuing.

“They have also lowered life detectors and nutrient solutions to other areas to find other miners who are missing. However the rescue team still has no signs of life,” Xinhua news agency reported.

Rescuers made contact on Sunday (17/1/2021) with the first group of 11 miners about 580 meters (1,900 feet) below the surface.

Emergency rescue teams have drilled two channels for delivering food and medicine and installed telephone lines while trying to expand the shaft to allow the miners to be rescued.

The workers said they were trapped by two underground explosions at the mine but details are still unconfirmed, the China Daily reported Thursday (21/1/2021).

There are plans to expand the drilling shaft enough to save the miners once drilling is complete.

“Rescue progress is slow as they are drilling granite,” local officials said, while extraction could be more complicated by the waterlogging conditions of the mine.

Rescuers lost a lot of time because the accident took more than a day to report.

Both the local Communist Party secretary and the mayor have been fired for not reporting immediately after 30 hours of the explosion. Officially an investigation is underway to determine the cause of the explosion.

Mining accidents are common in China, where the industry has a poor safety record and enforcement is often weak. Earlier, in December 2020, 23 workers died after being trapped in an underground mine in the southwestern city of Chongqing.