As of August 30, 2021, Bank Indonesia (BI) revoked and withdrew 20 types of Special Rupiah Denominations (URK) for the 1970-1990 issuance years. The policy is contained in Bank Indonesia Regulation (PBI) No.23/12/PBI/2021.
“Thus, as of the date referred to, the URK is no longer valid as a legal tender in the territory of the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia,”SAID ERWIN HARYONO, CHIEF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE BI COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT ON MONDAY (AUGUST 30, 2021).
The rupiahs that are revoked and withdrawn from circulation include:
- Special Series 25 Rupiah for the Year of Independence of the Republic of Indonesia in the Year of 1970’s Emission in the amount of 10 (ten) denominations;
- Special Rupiah Currency Series for the 1974 Emission of the Year in the amount of 3 (three) denominations;
- 2 (two) denominations of Rupiah for Nature Reserve Series for the Year 1987 Issue;
- Special Rupiah for the Struggle Series ’45 Year 1990 Issue in 3 (three) denominations;
- Special Rupiah for the Save The Children Series for the 1990 Emission of 2 (two) denominations.
Erwin Haryono said for people who have the URK and want to exchange it, they can exchange it at Commercial Banks starting from August 30, 2021, until August 29, 2031, or 10 years from the date of revocation.
Exchange services can also be performed at the Head Office or Bank Indonesia Representative Offices throughout Indonesia, with reference to the provisions or information submitted regarding the operational schedule and public services of Bank Indonesia.